Friday, April 24, 2009

Dark chocolate everything

Dark chocolate is all the rage right now. Something about antioxidants and stimulating the production of endorphins. Most of the major brand candy makers jumped on the bandwagon and are creating dark chocolate versions of their best sellers. Is this a good thing? Let's discuss.

1. Where were they years ago when all I could find was a Hershey's Special Dark bar to satisfy my semi-sweet tooth? I'm holding a bit of a grudge about that.
2. Some things shouldn't be included in the fad, like things I don't really like anyway. Why? Because of my grudge. What? I can't remember for sure but I'm thinking the dark Milky Way bar didn't do it for me.
3. Some things should be included in the fad but aren't. I love M&M's. I love them any which way including plain, peanut, almond and peanut butter. So far, I've only been able to find the plain and peanut M&M's in dark chocolate. Finish the job!
4. Some things are made awesome. I could ignore Raisinets and did for years. Now that they make them with dark chocolate, I consider them a delicious health food. Dark chocolate! Dried fruit! Together! There is no downside!
5. Dark chocolate packages of Hershey's miniatures? Killer! Just think about a wonderful medley of tiny little Special Darks, Krackel, and Mr. Goodbars. But I miss the fourth offering that the original miniatures had. I know they can't make the Hershey's Bar dark because then it becomes a Special Dark, but can't they come up with a number four? Something with peanut butter maybe? Almonds? It's doable!
6. I found some dark chocolate covered Altoids that were pretty darn good. I'm not an Altoid nut like my husband, and I'm not a peppermind fiend. but the dark chocolate covered ones weren't bad.
7. Let's see. What was the discussion about?

Okay. Here is one of my favorite snacks or mix for when I'm feeling that I need to eat healthy even if I'm not eating light. It is awesome and infinitely modifiable.

Mix approximately equal parts of:
Spanish peanuts
Dried blueberries
Dark chocolate Raisinets
Mariani Premium dried fruit mix in Harvest Medley (tiny bits of apples, cherries, and I can't remember what else)

Eat. Feel good about yourself. Pat yourself on the back. Repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment