Okay, I was rewarded tonight for all of the extra work I've been putting in at my real job(s) with a carton of Whoppers. My husband brought them home and I know the chocolate is weak, but they're good, right?
I figure the malted milk center can't be all bad for you. Isn't malt in Malt-O-Meal? Isn't that something encouraged upon children for years (at least when I was young) but was only tolerable in the chocolate flavored variety? That reminds me, I have a really good muffin recipe that uses chocolate Malt-O-Meal that is tasty and probably keep you regular. I'll try to drag it out later.
Now, back to Whoppers. They come in funky packages that look like old fashioned milk cartons. It seems to help keep them from being smashed, if that is even possible. I like to put one in my mouth, suck off the chocolate, and then allow the malted milk center to dissolve on my tongue.
A few years back we went to Ohio and stopped at an Amish family restaurant-slash-gift shop. They also sold home made candies and among them were some AMAZING malted milk balls. They were probably double the size of Whoppers, with probably double the chocolate coating, and the chocolate was better (darker and less waxy). I still swoon a bit when I think of them. We found comparable ones at a Cracker Barrel but I still think the Amish ones are the finest.
But we can't all live in Ohio and have access to the Amish version of Whoppers or the cash (they were considerably more expensive) so we'll just have to make do. Whoppers are a nice treat and a really nice gesture for someone who has been working crazy hours. Don't forget the milk.
No comments:
Post a Comment